| SPICA |
To Discover the Origins of Galaxies, Stars and Planets
| Themes || |
- What are the conditions for planet formation and the emergence of life?
- How does the Solar System work?
- How did the Universe originate and what is it made of?
| Primary Goal || Understanding how galaxies, stars and planets form and evolve as well as the interaction between the astrophysical processes that have led to the formation of our own Solar System |
| Targets || |
- Young gas giant planets
- Protoplanetary disks
- Galactic and extragalactic star forming regions
- Luminous IR galaxies, AGNs and starburst galaxies at high redshift
- Deep cosmological surveys
| Wavelength || Mid- to Far-infrared (~5-210 μm) |
| Telescope || 3.2 m Ritchey-Chrétien |
| Orbit || L2 |
| Lifetime || Minimum 3 years, 5 year goal |
| Partners || JAXA-ESA |
| Type || Mission of Opportunity |